Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday July 24

Today has been another day of rest for me as I have been suffering from stomach problems. The wonderful thing is though that I am allowed to spend more alone time with God. I was looking through the books left by the missionaries who live here usually but are home on furlow. It's a book called Valley of Vision and it is a collection of puritan prayers and devotions. I would highly recommend it as it has helped me find the right words at times when I am praying daily. I have even been inspired to begin my own book of person prayers (don't bet on it being published though). It's so tough sometimes when you have been called somewhere and then suddenly are stricken with aflictions. For me it's my stomach for others it's been migraines. Please pray for us as Satan is certainly waiting to attack. I know why I am hear and feel confident that God will use us all in an amazing way. I am learning what it will be like to be in a Christian international school and how I can serve those at the school, but I am also seeing how to show love to my roommates and recognizing their needs and not just focusing on my own. The joy of this that I can see Jessica my roommate doing the same. I praise God for her because she it the oppossite of me and is an inspiration to what I need to adjust in my life. I hope that I can repay her in return. I will sign off now with a prayer from Valley of vision:
O Lord of the oceans,
My little bark sails on a resless sea, Grant that Jesus may sit at the helm and steer me safely; Suffer no adverse currents to divert my heavenward course; Let not my faith be wrecked amid strorms and shoals; Bring me to harbour with flying penants, hull unbreached, cargo unspoiled. I ask great things, expect great things, shall receive great things. I venture on thee wholly, fully, my wind, sunshine, anchor, defence. The voyage is long, the waves high, the storms pitiless, but my helm is held steady, the Word secures safe passage, thy grace wafts me onward, my haven is guaranteed. This day will bring me nearer home, Grant me holy consistency in every transaction, my peace flowing as a running tide, my righteousness as every chasing wave. Help me live circumspectly, with skill to convert every care into prayer, Halo my path with gentleness and love, smoothe every asperity of temper; let me not forget how easy it is to occasion grief; may I strive to bind up every wound, and pour oil on all troubled waters. May the world this day be happier and better because I live. Let my mast before me be the Saviour's cross, and every oncoming wave the fountain in his side. Help me, protect me in the moving sea unitl I reach the shore of unceasing praise.

A puritan prayer

No comments: