Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An interesting week



I haven't updated this blog in awhile but I though I should because I have a couple of great stories. First story: A little girl stood up and asked "Whose rubber is this?" For a moment I thought "what on earth is this child saying? " Then I realized she spent the last two years in England where rubber means eraser. LOL I don't think I need to share what came to my mind. Ok so that leads to the second story where the same child told me that I couldn't sit with my skirt on because I would show my underwear (I'm surprised she did not say knickers) anyways another little boy promptly pointed out that adult underwear is (boring) and they wouldn't see anything. I quickly changed the subject and tried desperately to continue a read aloud without laughing. Now fast forward to the end of the day when I am walking home from the bus stop. I attempted to take off my backpack to get my keys for my house. The only problem is that I hooked something on my skirt which pulled it down nearly to my knees. Boy am I glad I was wearing a slip, but I"m sure the construction workers nearby were speechless to see a gringa lose her bottoms. Oh well I survived and life is moving on.

On a more serious note. The devotion today was on allowing God to cleanse us and make us purified by His blood. This was so powerful. The woman who did the devotion used the illustration from "The voyage of the dawn treader" by CS Lewis. I"m not sure how many of you are familiar with the story but there is a character that is less than desirable. Do to his greed he becomes a dragon. He learns his lesson and wants to become human again. So Aslan (A lion who represents Christ in the story) tells him to follow him to a well. The boy(dragon) is told he must remove his hide to enter the pool. After three tries he is unable. The Lion informs him that only he(the lion) can truly remove his scales. The process is painful but only momentarily. The image for me is that we by ourselves are sinful corrupted beings, but Christ through his blood can make us a new creation. The boy by the way becomes human again and his heart is changed and he turns away from his bad behavior. Think of how this can apply to your own life. I mean I sin all the time and fall daily to my knees to confess my sins to God, but I am prideful and I need cleansing that is sometimes very painful.

I leave with a poem a friend shared written by Beth Moore from "Praying God's Word"

My name is Pride I am a cheater
I cheat you of your God given destiny...because you demand your own way
I cheat you of contentment...because "you" deserve better than this
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all
I cheat you of healing...because you are too full of me to forgive
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to admit when you are wrong
I cheat you of vision...because you would rather look in the mirror than out a window
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because nobodys going to know the real you
I cheat you of love...because real romance demands sacrifice
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own
My name is Pride. I am a cheater
You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know.

No comments: